Zettle is part of the integrated PayPal family of payment services and is the much-anticipated improvement to the bare-bones PayPal Here card reader app. The Zettle app works on Apple and Android devices and delivers a robust set of POS features for managing products, inventory, customers, payments, sales and staff. You can also create and send invoices, track gift cards and run detailed sales reports using the app, plus access all data in Zettle’s online dashboard.
Accepting in-person card and contactless payments is a snap with Zettle’s user-friendly devices. You can use just a mobile card reader, pair a reader with a countertop stand or build an in-store checkout with a tablet stand, cash drawer, barcode scanner and receipt printer. Whichever you choose, in-person card and contactless payments all have a flat-rate fee of 2.29% plus $0.09.
You can also process keyed-in payments using the app and Zettle online dashboard. However, keyed-in payments have a higher processing fee of 3.49% plus $0.09 per sale.
With Zettle, you also enjoy the convenience of managing all of your payments in one place. If you use PayPal to accept payments in an e-commerce store or use PayPal invoices or payment links, your Zettle payments will appear alongside others in your PayPal account. As with most PayPal payments, Zettle deposits are typically accessible within one business day.
PayPal Zettle provides a very economical payment solution for all types of small businesses. Other than one-time costs for a card reader or checkout stand equipment, your only ongoing costs are simple, flat-rate payment processing fees.
- Card reader payments: 2.29% of the sale amount + $0.09 transaction fee
- Manually keyed-in payments: 3.49% of the sale amount + $0.09 transaction fee
Card reader payments are in-person payments when you physically capture card data when the card is swiped, read by a chip reader or paid using e-wallets such as Apple Pay or Google Pay. These processing fees are lower than manually keyed-in payments since the card or e-wallet is present for the sale. Manually keyed-in payments are useful for situations such as phone sales but can carry higher risks, thus the higher fee.
- Zettle mobile card reader: One for $29 with account sign-up, additional readers $79
- Zettle reader stand: $49, card reader not included
- Portable receipt printer: $269
- Checkout stand for iPad: $159, does not include iPad
- Checkout register bundles: $249 to $699, does not include iPad
Here’s what you get for free with PayPal Zettle:
- Free Zettle and PayPal accounts. No startup, monthly or termination fees and no contracts, cancel anytime
- Free Zettle POS. Full-featured POS app takes just minutes to download and set up on your mobile device
- Free Zettle dashboard and virtual terminal. Access your Zettle POS data from your computer, plus accept payments via virtual terminal or connected card reader
- Free next-day deposits. Funds are typically available within one business day with no extra fee
Zettle’s POS app gives users a solid set of features that make selling and collecting payments quick and easy. Here’s a snapshot of what you can do with Zettle in your day-to-day operations.
- Payment options: Accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover credit and debit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, PayPal, Venmo and more, plus record cash and check sales.
- Product data: Enter product data, including photos, descriptions and barcodes, and sort products into lists or groups for easy management.
- Inventory tracking: Enter and update inventory numbers and set restock alerts.
- Customer tracking: Record customer data, including name, phone and email.
- Staff tracking: Add multiple staff accounts for productivity tracking.
- Seamless checkout: Quick-search items to ring up, apply set or custom discounts and offer digital or print receipts.
- Refunds: Impress customers with quick sale data retrieval and accurate refunds.
- Gift cards: Sell digital and physical gift cards and track balances.
- Track invoices: Create and send invoices for services, collect online payments and track unpaid invoices.
- Sales reports: Track sales data by date, payment type, product or product group, customer and employee, plus get a quick report on bestsellers.