A London family is staying at a motel after their rental in East London suffered major damages in a house fire on Monday evening. They’re now picking up the pieces with help from their community.
“The first night was really hectic,” said Mike Selleck. “So we got to the hotel, and we had great support from the neighbours, helping us out and stuff like that. And our landlord, they put us up in the hotel, so that was very kind of them.”
The London Fire Department was called to the home near Hamilton Road and Egerton Street at about 7:20 p.m. on Monday. They say damage is estimated to be upwards of $500,000.
Selleck and his wife have three children aged four, five and 11.
“Got a lot of community support,” he said. “And from our son’s school, they helped us out with some gift cards for Walmart and … some other stuff that we need because we don’t really know what’s savable and what’s not.”
According to a fire official, careless disposal of smoking materials is to blame for the incident.
The family, unfortunately, didn’t have content insurance for their rental. Selleck says that when he last changed their car insurance, he forgot to do the same with their content insurance, so any possessions that were lost will be up to them to replace.
While their situation is difficult, Selleck is thankful that members of the community are coming to their aid.
“It feels amazing that there are nice people like that still in this world even though, you know, sometimes it doesn’t feel like it,” said Selleck.
He said their top priority right now is finding a new home.