MSN has partnered with The Points Guy for our coverage of credit card products. MSN and The Points Guy may receive a commission from card issuers.
Editor’s note: This guide has been updated with the latest information.
On the long list of people who deserve a vacation, teachers rank near the very top.
For Teacher Appreciation Week, we’re raising more than an apple to educators with this list of spots where teachers can enjoy a teacher discount for some free or discounted fun, relaxation or entertainment.
A few extra special teachers will even win an all-expenses-paid cruise through Norwegian Cruise Line’s annual Giving Joy sweepstakes. You can nominate your favorite teacher (or teachers) and 100 lucky educators will win a cruise and up to a $25,000 donation for their school. Nominations are open now and close on June 3, 2022.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Teacher discounts at Disney Springs hotels
Some hotels within Disney Springs (but not the actual Walt Disney World Disney Resorts, sadly) are offering ongoing teacher discounts. These hotels provide many, but not all, of the perks at true Disney resorts, including early admission to the parks. These properties are chain properties under flags such as Wyndham, Holiday Inn and Hilton.
The Hilton Orlando’s website advertises teacher appreciate rates from about $215 per night, but most nights land closer to the $250 to $350 range. Ask for the TEA rate code when calling to book (you might be able to get help finding better rates by picking up the phone), or book online.
The Holiday Inn Orlando, within Disney Springs, also offers ongoing discounted rates to teachers and education support staff at every level, from daycare through college. Along with the discounted nightly rate, up to four kids ages 11 and under are eligible to eat for free while on property.
Related: Here are TPG’s favorite Disney Springs properties.
Teacher discounts at the Disney Swan and Dolphin
Perhaps even better than staying in Disney Springs is staying within walking distance to Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios at the Disney Swan or Dolphin — both of which offer teacher (and nurse, medical personnel, law enforcement and first responder) discounts. With this one, you have to call 1-888-828-8850 and ask for the promotional code TEACHERS RATE or add promotional code ZTC to the website for discounts of up to 25% off regular room rates at the time of booking.
I did a quick search for upcoming dates and found teacher discounts of around $30 off per night. However, some dates appear to be blacked out for the teachers’ discount, so be sure to do your research.
Keep in mind that these properties also have discounts of up to 25% on connecting rooms if you are traveling with the whole family — you just have to ask.
Free theme park and attraction tickets for teachers
Some theme parks offer free tickets to teachers, presumably so the teachers will want to set up a field trip with their students in the future. But regardless of the motivation, free is free.
- SeaWorld Florida: Free, unlimited admission for Florida K-12 teachers through Aug. 31, 2022.
- SeaWorld San Diego: A free Teacher Fun Card good for unlimited free admission through Dec. 31, 2022, for California and Arizona K-12 teachers.
- SeaWorld San Antonio: Free Teacher Card valid for unlimited admission to all rides, shows, animal encounters and attractions. Valid for certified Texas Pre-K through high school teachers.
- Kennedy Space Center: Free educator study passes for teachers from Florida, Georgia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, good for complimentary access to the visitors complex. Note that substantial proof/identification is required: either a copy of your teaching certificate, a photo ID that shows your title (teacher/educator) or a signed letter from the school principal.
- Legoland Florida: Free Teacher Annual Pass for Florida Pre-K-Grade 12 teachers good for a year of free admission to Legoland, Madame Tussauds Orlando and Sea Life Orlando. Upgrade to a more flexible pass that includes water park admission and more for $59.99. (Check out TPG’s guide to Legoland Florida.)
- Sesame Place: Teachers in Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York and New Jersey are eligible for a Teacher Pass that grants unlimited Sesame Place admission for a full year. 2022 registration is closed, but registration for 2023 should open in the fall of 2022. If you had a Teacher Pass for 2021, it should automatically renew for 2022.
- Arizona Science Center: Free general admission and discounts at the planetarium and giant screen theater for Arizona K-12 educators.
Additional travel discounts for teachers
Teacher travel discounts are out there if you search and ask. A few additional examples include:
Teacher discounts on travel are not available everywhere, but they do exist.
If you are eligible and don’t see what you want on this list, try a little searching online. And when in doubt, pick up the phone to ask. Also, keep in mind that discounts for government employees sometimes apply to public school teachers, too.
Featured image by jhorrocks/Getty Images.
SPONSORED: With states reopening, enjoying a meal from a restaurant no longer just means curbside pickup.
And when you do spend on dining, you should use a credit card that will maximize your rewards and potentially even score special discounts. Thanks to temporary card bonuses and changes due to coronavirus, you may even be able to score a meal at your favorite restaurant for free.
These are the best credit cards for dining out, taking out, and ordering in to maximize every meal purchase.
Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.